What a fun week the kindergarteners in Mrs. Nelsons class had exploring, experimenting, and learning all about apples. Our thematic unit was integrated into all subject areas and the students had a blast!
Science: Exploring our seasonal theme using the scientific method.
- Anatomy of an Apple-Making Observations
- Life cycle and Seasons of an Apple Tree
- Five Senses
- Will an apple sink or float?
- Apple Tasting Graph
- Apple facts/Descriptive words
Anatomy of an Apple
Students studied halves of apples and identified each part and learned what its function was.
Will a big apple float? Will a small apple float?
Math Activities included:
- Number recognition and sequencing
Roll, Count, and Stamp!
Pick and graph it
Social Studies and ELA activities included:
- The story of Johnny Appleseed (John Chapman)
- Being a good Citizen
- Story Sequencing
- Letter and sig
The legend of Johnny Appleseed
Paint stamping and descriptive booklet
Christian Faith and Life:
- Comparing the 3 Main Parts of an Apple to the 3 parts of our triune God
How is an apple like Jesus?!?
We concluded our apple week with a fun cooking project! We baked and ate delicious apple pies. YUM! These kindergartners sure can cook!