Every summer, two weeks before the upcoming school year begins, over twenty 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students from the St. John’s Lutheran School Student Leadership Team attend an on-campus “retreat.” This year’s retreat was held in the Garage Youth Room on August 2nd, 2021. Our dedicated Student Leaders were able to receive the training necessary to help them lead our school during the upcoming year. At the retreat our Student Leaders were able to plan, prepare, and strategize for the major events they will be hosting during the upcoming school year, including:
- Packaging 90 “Survival Kits” for the incoming 6th graders (distributed at Open House)
- ASPIRE presentation training with Mr. Mercier
- “Habitudes” (images that form leadership habits and attitudes) training with Mr. Mercier
- Peer Counseling training with Mrs. Marko
- Shepherding training with Mr. Stuewe
- Life Group training with Mr. Mercier
- The National Lutheran Schools Week Fall Pep Rally
- Spring Spirit Week Theme and Devotions
After eating a delicious pizza and salad lunch from Lamppost Pizza, our Student Leaders spent time doing team building activities. Not only were these activities fun and engaging, they were also designed to help our students experience the power of effective communication. Good listening, engaged body language, eye contact, and empathy were just a few of the skills practiced during our afternoon games. These games also gave our Student Leaders an opportunity to get to know each other in a fun, safe, encouraging environment.
The St. John’s Student Leadership Team is excited to serve our school’s student body, our congregation and community. What a blessing it is to have such a dedicated group of students and teachers who want to make a positive difference in the lives of so many people during the 2021-2022 school year!
By: Mr. Mercier, 6th grade, Student Leadership Advisor